MOUNT AIRY, N.C. – A soured love affair may have led an ex-convict to gun down four men in the town that inspired the idyllic community of Mayberry on the 1960s TV series "The Andy Griffith Show," police said Monday.
Marcos Chavez Gonzalez, 29, was charged with four counts of murder in the slayings late Sunday outside a television store in Mount Airy, about 100 miles north of Charlotte.
The four were shot with a high-powered assault rifle outside Wood's TV, in the shadow of a water tower that says "Welcome to Mount Airy" and has a picture of Griffith and Opie, his son on the show.
Watson identified the victims — all residents of the town — as Victor Alfonso Martinez-Jimenez, 22; Javier Manuel Martinez, 21; Juan Manuel Martinez, 26; and Marcos Oviedo Aguliar, 21.Michelle Oviedo, 21, said her boyfriend and brother were among the dead and the alleged shooter is her mother's boyfriend.
Races in Mount Airy:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (82.3%)
- Black (8.0%)
- Hispanic (5.9%)
- Other race (2.5%)
- Other Asian (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
It's a small town of about 8,600.
But at least now, thanks to "diversity", it is well on its way towards being a "vibrant, progressive mosaic" of 21st century Amerikwa.
Income and Wealth
- Per capita income of Hispanics is one half that of non-Hispanic whites, and household net worth is less than one tenth.
- Fifty percent of Hispanic households use some form of welfare, the highest rate of any major population group.
- Hispanics are 3.3 times more likely to be in prison than whites; they are 4.2 times more likely to be in prison for murder, and 5.8 times more likely to be in prison for felony drug crimes.
- Young Hispanics are 19 times more likely than young whites (and slightly more likely than young blacks) to be in youth gangs.
- Hispanics drop out of high school at three times the white rate and twice the black rate.
- Even third-generation Hispanics drop out of school at a higher rate than blacks and are less likely to be college graduates.
- From 1992 to 2003, Hispanic illiteracy in English rose from 35 percent to 44 percent.
- The average Hispanic 12th-grader reads and does math at the level of the average white 8th-grader.
Families and Health
- At 43 percent, the Hispanic illegitimacy rate is twice the white rate, and Hispanic women have abortions at 2.7 times the white rate.
- Hispanics are three times more likely than whites not to have medical insurance, and die from AIDS and tuberculosis at three times the white rate.
- In California, the cost of free medical care for illegal aliens forced 60 hospitals to close between 1993 and 2003.