Income and Wealth
* Per capita income of Hispanics is one half that of non-Hispanic whites, and household net worth is less than one tenth.
* Fifty percent of Hispanic households use some form of welfare, the highest rate of any major population group.
* Hispanics are 3.3 times more likely to be in prison than whites; they are 4.2 times more likely to be in prison for murder, and 5.8 times more likely to be in prison for felony drug crimes.
* Young Hispanics are 19 times more likely than young whites (and slightly more likely than young blacks) to be in youth gangs.
* Hispanics drop out of high school at three times the white rate and twice the black rate.
* Even third-generation Hispanics drop out of school at a higher rate than blacks and are less likely to be college graduates.
* From 1992 to 2003, Hispanic illiteracy in English rose from 35 percent to 44 percent.
* The average Hispanic 12th-grader reads and does math at the level of the average white 8th-grader.
Families and Health
* At 43 percent, the Hispanic illegitimacy rate is twice the white rate, and Hispanic women have abortions at 2.7 times the white rate.
* Hispanics are three times more likely than whites not to have medical insurance, and die from AIDS and tuberculosis at three times the white rate.
* In California, the cost of free medical care for illegal aliens forced 60 hospitals to close between 1993 and 2003.
* Only 33 percent of citizens of Hispanic origin consider themselves “Americans” first. The rest consider themselves either “Hispanic/Latino” or their former nationality first.